The NYC Autism Charter School is the first public charter school in New York State devoted exclusively to educating children with autism. Created by NEXT for AUTISM in 2005, the school was designed with a simple vision: to provide a model, evidence-based, public education program to children with autism.
The school’s East Harlem location is a demonstration site for educators from around the world, and a clinical training ground for graduate level, special education teachers. A second NYC Autism Charter School, in the South Bronx, opened in 2017.
Woven into the school’s DNA are NEXT for AUTISM’s commitment to excellence, evidence-based practices, and community integration.
- Individualized educational programs for each student, based on the principles of Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA)
- TEmphasis on teaching functional skills in communications, socialization, work-readiness, self-care, and daily living
- Learning and internship opportunities outside of the classroom at Facebook, White Castle & Shake Shack
- A Peer Mentorship Program that encourages students to interact and integrate with typically developing peers who attend school in the same building
- Recreational opportunities in neighboring community and athletic centers that help integrate students into surrounding neighborhoods and promote physical activity
Ages 5 to 21
66% are Black, Latino or Asian
More than 75% qualify for the state’s free or reduced-price lunch
Students enroll by lottery